Home made ice cream – what can be better? Hummm, home made peach ice cream. We decided to pull out the ice cream maker that had been gathering dust and churn it out while celebrating the 4th. My friend Denise Clason had just sent her “Mothers Best Ice Cream” recipe last week, so we decided to give it a try. Yum – really good. We had our friends and neighbors, Billy and Shirley, over to help eat it.
Here is Denise’ recipe – I added 8 peaches cut into small pieces. Delicious!
My Mother’s Best Ice Cream recipe
8 C Lt cream
1 pkg powered sugar
2 T vanilla
¼ t. salt
2 C milk or whipping cream, or 1 C milk and 1 C whipping cream
10-12 pounds crushed ice
1 box rock salt
1. Heat 4 C lt. cream until scalded (not burned) in heavy sauce pan.
2. In medium bowl with wire whisk, mix eggs and powdered sugar until blended.
3. Gradually stir in 1 C of the hot cream. Gradually pour egg mixture back into cream. Heat for approximately 15 minutes or until the liquid becomes slightly thick – it does not need to boil.
4. Add remaining 4 C lt. cream, 2 C milk or whipping cream, vanilla and salt and mix.
5. Pour into the freezer container and chill in the refrigerator until cool.
6. Follow manufacturer’s directions for freezing
20 minutes prep time and about 25-30 minutes freezing.
***Add these ingredients to get a flavor like Cold Stone: 1 C raspberry jam, 1 C cut up blackberries, ¼ C raspberry syrup, ½ C baby chocolate chips. Stir together and freeze longer.
We started the 4th off with breakfast at Billy and Shirley’s house, with breakfast cooked outside on a huge grill.
I hope each of you enjoyed the 4th in your own special way.