Each year, as the year gets close to the end, I always wonder how can it be over already. It seems like only a few months have passed. I think working hard and working with something I love makes the time fly faster. I love creating both new art and new quilting/sewing designs so the days just whiz by.
Thinking ahead to the new year always brings thoughts of new resolutions. But by January 10th or so (if that long), they are usually forgotten as I’ve settled back into my normal daily routine. So, I’ve settled on one word for next year’s resolution – TRY. That’s all one can do, and my “try” will be trying some new things and some new directions as well expanding on the things I’m already doing. OK, I know there’s only so many hours in the day to “try” to squeeze my new resolution in, but there are some 2-word sub-resolutions that can help, “Better Organization” or “Less Sleep” (I really don’t like the last one so I need to work on the first).
TRY reminds me of an old saying “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again”. I’m not quite sure I like that saying because you don’t have to fail or not succeed to keep trying. By trying, you can improve on something good or successful. TRY can also cover a multitude of plans, from trying to be a better person to trying to keep my plants alive by remembering to water them.
Thinking back over the past year, I am thankful for many things. Foremost, I’m thankful for my family and friends. My son moved back to Birmingham this year, to my delight, so I get to see him much more often. I enjoyed spending more time with other members of my family as well as friends.
I am thankful for all of you who read my blog, comment or send me emails. You all mean more to me than you know!
I wish each of you a great and Happy New Year, peace and happiness! I hope your wishes and dreams come true!
I wish each of you the merriest of Christmases and happiest of holidays. Enjoy the time with and love of family and friends. Take a moment to think of the blessings in your life.
And be safe in your travels.
I wish each of you a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. In remembering the true meaning of the words “thanks giving”, I think of all the things in my life that I give thanks for. Remembering the positive will suppress any negatives we might have. You can have only one thought at a time so concentrating on the positive will brighten our days.
At the top of my list, I am thankful for all the love and joy given to me by family and friends. The people we are in contact with, whether on a daily basis or much more infrequently, shape just about every aspect of our lives. For those who have passed from my life, I am ever thankful for their love and the cherished memories that will never fade.
I am thankful for all of you who read my blog and again wish you a wonderful and safe holiday!
Sept. 21st, 2008, marks the 10th celebration of National Women’s Friendship Day (NWFD). The celebration day was created in 1999 by the Kappa Delta sorority to remind us to appreciate and celebrate our friendships. NWFD is a great ‘excuse’ to get the girls together and have some fun. While it might be too late to meet-up on the 21st, you really can celebrate this special occasion every day – so plan some fun events with your girlfriends!
Check out these ideas for great girlfriend get togethers:
- Happy hour, dinner, lunch, brunch or any opportunity to eat, drink and be merry with your very BFFs. Plan a GNO with your favorite gal pals for a little ‘girlfriend therapy!’ Reconnect with your friends and spend an evening laughing away all your concerns.
- Mani, pedi, massage – the works! Grab the girls and head to a local spa or salon for some pampering together. Then ease back into the real world with an after-the-spa dinner together. Consider this: a recent study by Dove indicates that 70% of women feel prettier because of their girlfriends. So get your pretty on by spending time with your BFFs!
- Go old school and pass some notes (real paper) with your girlfriends – take a class together! Learn how to knit, cook, bead or speak French together. Take a scrapbooking class, go to a wine tasting or do yoga together. Spend time and learn together – it’s guaranteed that girlfriends make learning much more fun!
- Road trip! Autumn is a great time to go to an outlet mall or a fall festival. Celebrate Oktoberfest with the girls, there’s bound to be one close by, visit a nearby town for a fun weekend festival.
- For starters…start a book club, a gardening group, a gourmet girlfriends monthly dinner. Plan a way to see each other more often and have fun on a regular basis. And invite some new women to the group – the more the merrier!
- Start shopping! Remember when we got back-to-school clothes? Maybe we should start that tradition over for new fall fashions. Go shopping with your girlfriends. They always give the greatest shopping advice!
- Surprise! It’s a girl’s get-together! At an early celebration of NWFD this week, a group of girlfriends told me that they have a monthly surprise get-together. They take turns planning the super-secret event. An email shares the date, time and meeting location – but no one is told what they are doing. Everyone shows up and just participates in whatever the host planned. Find some spontaneous girlfriends and have fun!
- Beyond the fun, the laughter and the shopping treasures, here’s the real benefit of time spent with your gal pals. It reduces your stress, and positively impacts your health, happiness and longevity. So, make plans to spend time with your girlfriends and tell, or at least show, them how much you appreciate their friendship. Make memories together. Laugh. Cry. Then laugh some more. September 21st , or any day of the year, life really is better together – with your girlfriends!
Debba Haupert created GIRLFRIENDOLOGY – the online community for women based on female friendship. Inspiring semi-weekly podcasts, videos, blogs, contests, reviews and more can be found at www.girlfriendology.com. Join in the appreciation and celebration of the wonderful women whose friendships make us healthier, happier, less stressed, live longer and even feel prettier. Thanks girlfriends!